The History of Alpha & Omega

Alpha and Omega Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1955 by Dr. James Curtis Hooks.  Services were held in various homes and store-fronts until the purchase of the building at 1400 S. Keeler in 1965.  The congregation increased in size over the years and it was necessary to find a larger facility. 


In 1972, the decision to purchase our present facilities was made, and after many negotiations, the Alpha and Omega Missionary Baptist Church was able to move to our present location at 4201 West Jackson Blvd.  In addition to being our place for worship service Alpha and Omega became a vital part of the community. We gladly opened our doors to provide a meeting place for community organizations as well as a place for recreation to the youth. 


In September 1981 our founder and pastor Rev. Hooks passed away.  From 1982 to 1989, we had several ministers to preside over services until Rev. Herbert Harlan Sr. was elected in 1989.  Rev. Harlan remained pastor until his retirement in 2000.  Although retired, Rev. Harlan continued to attended services and help where he could. Our then Assistant Pastor, Rev. Thomas King became the interim pastor at the time. During this time we interviewed several candidates. 


In February 2007 we began to re-pursue our search for a permanent pastor. On March 18, 2007, with only a few faithful members still working to hold things together Rev. Harris was voted in by a unanimous vote.  He was apprised of our decision the following Sunday and began his official capacity as pastor of the Alpha and Omega Missionary Baptist Church!  Preaching his first Official service as Pastor on April 3, 2007. Under his leadership we have added over 250 new members to our church, replaced our roof, rebuilt/repaired our outer walls, upgraded our electrical wiring, replaced our windows and doors, remodeled our washrooms, remodeled our multi-purpose room, renovated our main sanctuary, restored our 2nd sanctuary/overflow room and restored our kitchen area and dining hall, added a state-of-the-art handi-cap lift in addition to other needed repairs.


In the days to come we will make our church better handicap accessible, reopen our gym as well as restore needed office spaces. We have enhanced our community outreach areas serving breakfasts and lunches to the community on different Saturdays throughout the month as well as taking hot meals to the homeless during the winter months. Under Pastor Harris’ leadership we are growing in grace and favor and are looking forward to continued growth and progress for the

Kingdom of God and to God be the glory!  

PrintPrint | Sitemap
© Alpha & Omega MB Church 2017